Thursday, September 4, 2008

SOS

So Everett had his orientation on Tuesday. I went with him and filled out paperwork, while he met a couple of students and the teachers. Everything went very well at first. He sat in circle time and listened to his Teacher talk about class and the rules. Then they walked us to the cafeteria and showed them where they would be eating lunch. The kids all have to walk in a straight line and hold their hands behind their back. All went well with Everett. I was feeling good. When we got back from that, the Teacher showed them their playground. They weren't able to play yet and Everett even seemed OK with that. She let them play in the toy section in class and told them they could play for a few minutes and then they would have circle time. So after about 7 min the Teacher rang the bell. It was time to clean up the toys. Here comes the fun! Everett did not want to stop playing. When his teachers tried to get him to clean up and go to circle time, he refused. Refused very loudly. He screamed at his teachers "no, I don't want to" and "I don't want to talk right now!" I finally went over there and tried to talk with him and he ended up scratching my arm and yelling at me. Finally the Teachers assistant got him to walk over to the circle, the Teacher was done singing. And there came the loud cry! So I had to explain to the Teacher this was his behavior lately, screaming and having crying fits. She told me what they would do with him. I told her how I try to handle him at home. He tried to go back to the toys and his teacher said the play area was closed, there was another class coming in. She was on her knees, kindly talking to him, I was waiting for him to hit or spit in her face. Which he didn't, thank goodness! I ended up having to carry him out. I am glad in a way they got to see him at his worst. But I was so embarrassed. And I don't know what to expect. He starts going Monday, full days. I have talked with him about screaming at his teachers. I have also gone over the rules of the class, so hopefully, seeing that he wants to go to school really bad, he will do OK. Cross your fingers. Did I mention how stressed out I am? Trevor asked "Can you do homeschooling?" I said "Possibly!"

1 comment:

Monica said...

How did the first day of school go?? I feel for you! School will be good for Everett. He will adjust. Alyssa's preschool teacher says she always has two kids that are handfull's a year.
Hopefully he is a good teenager for giving you heart attacks while he was young!